Psoriasis Treatment in Berkeley and Dublin
Medical Dermatology Services
If you are experiencing flare-ups of scaly, red skin, you may suffer from a chronic condition known as psoriasis. This recurrent, rash-like condition can be treated by a professional provider utilizing different forms of treatment. At NorCal Dermatology Group, our dedicated team will help you diagnose and treat your skin ailment to help you unlock healthy, beautiful skin.
What Is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic, recurrent skin condition resulting from an autoimmune disorder instigating an inflammatory process, which produces an excess amount of skin cells that accumulate on the skin’s surface. The intensity of the condition can range from mild to severe and is typically accompanied by itching or burning.
Types of Psoriasis
Although the appearance of psoriasis may vary, it generally results in red, scaly patches, appearing in certain regions of the body, such as the back, elbows, hands, feet, knees, scalp, and groin area.
There are different forms of psoriasis, including:
- Plaque psoriasis - This type of psoriasis is the most common, and manifests as dry, red lesions (patches) that are usually covered in a scaly silver or white layer. Plaque psoriasis tends to appear on the lower back, elbows, knees, and scalp.
- Guttate psoriasis - About 10% of people diagnosed with psoriasis have this specific type, and it appears as small, drop-shaped red spots on the skin. Generally manifesting around the face, scalp, limbs, and torso, guttate psoriasis may develop into plaque psoriasis over time.
- Inverse Psoriasis - Also called flexural psoriasis, this form of psoriasis manifests as shiny, smooth, red patches. It is common around skin folds such as the armpits, groin area, and under the breasts, due to the entrapment of sweat and moisture within these folds.
Signs & Symptoms of Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that tends to occur in cycles, with notable flare-ups spanning a few weeks to months, and then subsiding for a short time until it reoccurs or, in some cases, goes into remission.
Some symptoms to look out for when determining whether you are suffering from psoriasis include:
- Thick, scaly layers overlying red, raised patches
- Itching and burning sensation of the affected skin
- Pitted, ridged, or thickened nails with yellow discoloration, with the nail sometimes separating from the nail bed
- Dry, cracked skin that bleeds
- Stiff or swollen joints
While psoriasis is not curable at the moment, there are ways that a provider can help control your flare-ups and alleviate your symptoms. From topical creams and ointments to oral medications, to phototherapy, and even injectable treatments, our adept team at NorCal Dermatology Group can help you find a solution to your specific condition.
Our compassionate experts understand the hindrance that psoriasis may have on your life, and we would be honored and pleased to help you manage your condition and so that you can enjoy a more confident and comfortable life.
For help with diagnosing the type of psoriasis condition you may be experiencing, speak to our skin experts when you contact us online today.
Short Wait Times
Accepting a Range of Health Plans
Specializing in Medical & Cosmetic Treatments
Exclusive Offers Available
We'll Show You Easy Ways to Maintain Healthy Skin